Friday, February 16, 2007

What I Do and Don’t like about the French

DON’T

Beauraucracy-
Seriously people get it sorted! There is soooo much. I thought Deutschland was bad but at least it was efficient and Tisha’s (my grandmother) right, one day this country WILL drown itself in paperwork.

The internship system-
Legally I am not allowed holiday, not a single day off in 6 months otherwise I forfit all of my oh so very generous 350 a month wages. They are apparently liable for anything that happens to you within that time which is why, as you might break something while on holiday and sue them or something. You are only allowed to do an internship WITHIN the framework of your education. If you are not studying, no work experience. Daft.

The 35 hour week.
I personally like this one as it means I work 35 hours rather than 36.5 which is the English full time hours (thank you tescos!) but I think it is a silly idea in general.

The price of milk.
I now know why EVERYONE drinks disgusting UHT. Its 59c/l whereas fresh milk is 1.14 euros/l at least. WHAT? Why? Have they no cows?

The bread.
I am CRAVING vollkornbrot. So at the moment for my sandwhiches im using harry’s American crappy bread, anyone who has eaten it will kno what rubbish it is but there is nothing else sliced. Not that great a fan of the French bread in general anyway.

Toulouse public transport system-
It takes me 1h 30 to get to work, nuff said. Also the discount system and pricing on that.

The lack of manners.
Small lady on the bus today, 3 big bags of shopping, who was the ONLY person on the bus to help her at all? That’s right, me.

Puree- smash in a box, buy some potatoes!




DO umm…at the moment?

Am cooking for myself so can’t enthuse about French cuisine, magret de canard is nice tho, on the whole its ok!

I’m looking forward to the warmth when it comes along. Although it is already too warm to wear my winter clothes but because of April showers we are having at the moment I’m wearing my raincoat.

Toulosue architecture,
pink and pretty.

The literature,
I’m reading Mémoires d’une jeune fille rangée which is just about sustaining my enthusiasm for the French language

My collegues seem pretty nice and quite chilled and hopefully my job will continue to be interesting (it's fine at the moment) so im going to reserve judgement on that for a month or so until I get properly setteled in.


The Pyrennees,
can’t wait to see them properly. I saw thm on the bus home in the distance today, so very inviting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home